directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Schema refactory status
Date Sun, 13 Sep 2009 07:07:04 GMT
On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 6:13 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@apache.org>wrote:

> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> Hi Emmanuel,
>>
>> On Fri, Sep 11, 2009 at 4:08 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@apache.org
>> >wrote:
>>

>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> core-integ tests are being fixed slowly but surely. As of today, 164
>>> tests
>>> are failing, out of 399.
>>>
>>> I still have some issues on modifications as we are trying to update some
>>> data into a cn=schemaModifications,ou=schema entry. This entry does not
>>> exist, and I don't know what it is supposed to contain. This impact a lot
>>> of
>>> tests as many of them are enabling a schema, which means a modification
>>> in
>>> the associated entry.
>>>

>> cn=schemaModifications is used to track timestamps on the schema I think.
>> I'll have to look at it again though.  Leave this to me this weekend, I
>> think I can scrub it clean.
>>

> I have added the ou=schemaModifications ldif file in ldap-schema resources,
> but it's not enough. The RegistrySynchronizerAdaptor class needs to be fixed
> in order to update this entry when a schema element is modified.
>
> Make me think that when we have updated the schema on disk, a second
> modification is done to update the modifyTimestamp and modifiersName
> operational attributes. In other words, we write the entry twice on disk. A
> waste, IMHO.

Yes we need to fix this.  However this problem is not only a schema issue.
It happens every time we change an entry period.  This is definitely
something to consider for optimization.

> We should inject those Operational attribute in the list of modifications
> and apply them directly. That will have a direct impact on the
> OperationalAttribute interceptor.

Yes I agree however at the time we had some issue that prevented us from
doing this.  However this may have changed.  We need to revisit all the
write operations and optimize them.

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org