directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Question about Schema
Date Sat, 26 Sep 2009 12:23:34 GMT
Hi guys,

just a question on schema, and theirs state.

When we inject a schema in the server, we store it on disk in a Ldif
partition. All the schema objects are then written to disk (id we inject
a OpenLDAP format schema or the ldif counterpart). At this time, it's
disabled by default, and each schema element has an attributeType
m-disabled set to TRUE. The registries does not contain any of the
loaded elements, except if the m-disabled AT is set to FALSE (and even
then it all depends on if the schema is enabled or not)

In order to be able to use this schema, we have to switch this AT to
FALSE (ie, now, it's enabled). That will be reflected on disk as the
schemaObject ldif entry will be rewritten. It also has an impact on the
registries, as they will now contain the schema's elements.

So the basic rules, AFAIK, are :
- a schema is disabled when loaded, unless it's explicitely enabled
- if a schema is disabled, then all the contained schemaObject are
disabled, even if they are marked as enabled
- when we enable a schema, all the contained element not explicitely
marked as disabled are loaded into the registries
- when we disabled a schema, all the associated schemaObjects are
removed from the registries
- we can't disabled a schemaObject if another enabled schema object
depends on it (like if the disabled element is an AT and is the superior
of another AT)
- whatever we do on the schema does not impact the data, in any way.

Are those assumptions correct ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com