directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: About LdifPartition and AvlPartition
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2009 21:14:35 GMT
Jeff MAURY wrote:
> I don't know the internal of a Partition but can't you implement some kind
> of lazy loading, ie an entry is loaded when requested by an LDAP request
> into the AvlPartition ? Btw, this should be used with some cache mecanism.

The real problem here is not the entry (we can use a cache for that),
but the indexes. The internal AvlPartition not only holds the entries,
but many indexes on these entries (ObjectClass, DN, EntryCSN, entryUUID,
etc). If we have hundred of thousands of entries, the index size will be
quite big and can suck memory quite fast too.

A good implementation would be to have a mixed system where entries are
stored on disk, and index managed with JDBM.

But for that, we must be able to replace the embedded AvlPartition but
such a system...

And, yes, definitively, we must have a cache in the picture !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org