directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject About LdifPartition and AvlPartition
Date Tue, 08 Sep 2009 21:02:46 GMT
Hi,

atm, the LdifPartition is using an internal AvlPartition to manage the
entries and index in memory. That means we have to load all the entries
from disk, and store them in memory. Of course, when some modifications
are done, they are stored on disk too.

The problem with this approach is that it limits the number of entries
we are likely to handle in such a partition to a few thousands. It's
fine for the schema partition and the configuration partition, which
must be in memory anyway for performance reasons. But in the near
future, it's a real limitation.

There is also a technical issue with the LdifPartition API : we can't
switch the current AvlPartition to use another one. It would be really
cool if we could inject a wrapped partition into the LdifPartition,
replacing the default AvlPartition, but atm, it's not possible, as we
don't have an interface for that. We can't use Partition, it's too
generic, and we can't use BTreePartition, as it does not expose the store.

What would be cool is to improve this part of the Partition API. It's
not urgent, but I think it has to be done before 2.0. It's not a big
change too.

thoughts ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny