directory-dev mailing list archives

From Howard Chu <...@symas.com>
Subject Re: About the LDIF partition and the Schema partition
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 17:32:02 GMT
Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> It does not work, because we can't tell if test.ldif is associated with
> cn=test or with sn=test.
>
> So we need to use the AT :
> /cn=test
> /sn=test
> cn=test.ldif
> sn=test.ldif
>
> Now, can we do that on all the FS ? On linux, the answer is yes. What
> about Mac OS/X ? W$ ? Solaris ?

OpenLDAP already does this. In Unix filesystems (that includes Linux, MacOSX,
and Solaris) the only reserved character is slash '/'. On Windows the only
special characters are colon ':' and dot '.'. There should be only one dot and
there cannot be any colon. Hex-escape these characters if they appear in an
RDN and you'll be fine.

--
   -- Howard Chu