directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject About the LDIF partition and the Schema partition, take 2
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 17:27:54 GMT
It's not enough, sadly :/

As LDIF file will be named using the RDN, we have to take car of some FS
limitations.

Those limitations include :
- length (usually, less than 255 chars)
- case sensitivity (on Windows, file names are case insensitive, on
MacOSX, it's a bit more complicated than that)
- special characters (<, >, :, ", \, /, |, ?, *) might need to be escaped
- Windows forbid the usage of some specific names : CON, PRN, AUX, NUL,
COM1, COM2, COM3, ..., COM9, LPT1..9
- Using non UTF-8 RDN values (like for binary At) might leads to bad names

All those cases are to be handled. I suggest we check the names before
creating the associated file/directory, and if it's not compatible, or
if the file already exists on disk (likely to happen on case insensitive
FS), we switch to a base32 representation (base64 does not fits on case
insensitive FS, sadly ...)

Thoughts ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny