directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject About the LDIF partition and the Schema partition
Date Fri, 04 Sep 2009 17:07:45 GMT
Hi guys,

as I'm looking at the Schema partition, and the associated LDIF
partition, I have a bit of a concern.

We have entries for each schema element, and we have directories. For
instance, directories are marked with a '/' and ldif file have a .ldif
extension :

The root element :
/schema
schema.ldif

The schemas :

/apache
apache.ldif
/apachemeta
apachemeta.ldif

and so on. So basically each entriy which has some children has two kind
of file element rpesent on disk : the associated ldif as a text file and
a directory.

This is all fine, except that it does not work well for all the kind of
entries, if we are to allow a user to define its own LDIF partition. For
instance, consider the case where we have two entries, having children,
which DNs are :
cn=test,ou=system
and
sn=test,ou=system

How will we represent those elements on disk ?

/test
test.ldif  ?

It does not work, because we can't tell if test.ldif is associated with
cn=test or with sn=test.

So we need to use the AT :
/cn=test
/sn=test
cn=test.ldif
sn=test.ldif

Now, can we do that on all the FS ? On linux, the answer is yes. What
about Mac OS/X ? W$ ? Solaris ?

Thoughts ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny