directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <ayyagariki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Partition refactoring] Some proposals
Date Thu, 03 Sep 2009 11:59:14 GMT

> Hi guys,
>
> right now, the Partition interface is used in two places :
> - as the interceptor chain entry point
> - as the facade for the specific backends (JDBM, LDIF, Oracle...)
>
> We are using the same interface in both case.
>
> What about defining two different interfaces ? One for the chain, one
> for the backend ?
+1

> The chain interface (ie, Partition, to keep the existing name), will
> carry the operations (add, delete, search...), the other interface,
> named BackendPartition, which expose a bit more methods, like the sync()
> method, get/set Id, get/set SuffixDn, etc.
>
> Does it make sense to you ?

yeap, and one more thing is to change the BTreePartition class name too.
(I somehow feel that it doesn't sound like a generic base class)

A problem I often encounter when writing a new partition is with the cast in DefaultDirectoryService
where it assumes that all partitions are JdbmPartitionS, I think the time is right to get
this fixed.

thanks Emmanuel

Kiran Ayyagari