directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <>
Subject Re: [Shared] [Schema API] SchemaObject byOid and byName lookup issues
Date Mon, 31 Aug 2009 01:26:13 GMT
On Mon, Aug 31, 2009 at 12:54 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <>wrote:

> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>> I'm running into several bugs and workaround because a byName hash was
>> never
>> implemented in the new SchemaObject.  I guess this functionality had to be
>> taken out of the OidRegistry and placed into specific type registries to
>> avoid name collisions.  However I thought there would be a byName hash.
>> Any reason why this was explicitly not created ?
> We don't need it. The byOid( String ) method (implemented in
> SchemaRegistries) retrieves the OID when a name or an oid is provided. You
> can do :
> String oid = attributeTypeRegistry.byOid( "ou" );
> or
> String oid = attributeTypeRegistry.byOid( "" );
> That should be enough for our need.

In theory yes but it did not work properly.  I debugged a bit then just
simplified the situation by creating the byName hash and everything worked
just fine.  So I did not ask any more questions.  Too tired at this point to
figure out why it did not work.  I'm sure the problems may creep back up to
figure out why.  And that might catch other bugs.

Personally having one method to use is best I agree.  Why have more surface
area to the API.  It's more exposure.

Alex Karasulu
My Blog ::
Apache Directory Server ::