directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] [Schema] Refactoring interfaces to classes
Date Sun, 30 Aug 2009 19:56:14 GMT
On Fri, Aug 28, 2009 at 9:55 PM, Alex Karasulu <akarasulu@apache.org> wrote:

> There was a reason why I had interfaces and it starts to show when we have
> one implementation which wraps another.  Containment is not as clean as it
> can be.  For example a CachingNormalizer extends Normalizer extends
> SchemaObject, and CachingNormalizer delegates using containment to another
> Normalizer.
>
> SchemaObjects have an OID.  And so there are now two variables for storing
> OID: one in the contained object and one in the container.  These kinds of
> harmless annoyances creep up if you design exclusively with classes.
>
> I'm starting to get leery of people trying to refactor a certain way just
> because it gets rid of Java source files.  Interfaces are harmless and
> always the best way to go especially when you don't know what you are doing.

I want to publicly apologize for this last paragraph.  It's thankless of me
to have made this comment and has the tone of me putting others down.  Very
insulting!  People work hard here.  I have no right to connotate that I know
better when I've gone missing for a year. I did not intend to come across
this way but sometimes I get too passionate.

Sincerely,

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org