directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject [Shared] [Schema API] Why have schemaObject.applyRegistries()
Date Sat, 29 Aug 2009 22:27:14 GMT
Can't this object be smart enough to manage itself?

I understand we have some String based SchemaObject properties that act as
references to other functional SchemaObjects which they need access to for
proper schema operation.  And sometimes we have delayed calls to set the
Registries reference which is used by these SchemaObjects to resolve the
String property to the functional SchemaObject they depend on.

Why not allow the property setters to function in the presence or absence of
Registries where:

  (1) if no registries are present they just update the String reference
  (2) if registries are present they update the String reference and their
reference to the respective functional SchemaObject

When the Registries reference is set or reset, the cached functional
SchemaObjects are updated.  Or just merely delay lookups in the registries
until the functional SchemaObjects are needed (think we do that now).
However if the registries are not set and they are needed an
IllegalStateException can be thrown.

Thoughts?

--
Alex Karasulu