directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] How about yet another versioning scheme conversation gang?
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:23:51 GMT
On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 5:17 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@apache.org>wrote:

> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>
>> I think we're on the same page.  But I would add one more caveat, that Y
>> "tries" to maintain API compatibility but there is no guarantee.
>>
> Why can't we guarantee that if the API is changed, then the old API will
> still be available, but marked as @deprecated, until the next X release ? Is
> it too strong a constraint?

Yeah I think it is too much.  Not feeling too generous on the API front
since it's going to see lots of flux.  Don't want our hands tied like it was
during all these 1.0/1.5 branches.  I want to move faster.  The faster we
move we can come back in like 3.0 and say Y can guarantee API backwards
compatibility.

> There is also an aspect which is not related to the API : configuration
> _and_ data. For Minor versions, we must guarantee a compatible
> configuration, and a compatible dataBase, otherwise we -at least- must
> provide teh tooling to migrate easily both of them.
>
> Thoughts ?

I'm not willing to guarantee this.  Technically the database format and the
configuration format/scheme is yet another interface the user is faced with
regarding ADS.  When I say interface I mean it very broadly to include data
formats and things like configuration.

I might want to slowly migrate some configuration feature that was in the
XML format slowly over two feature releases into ADS.  If I must provide
this guarantee then I have to wait until 3.0 to introduce these changes.
It's not a good thing for us who really want to provide the user with what
they really need in the end as soon as possible.

We must allow for rapid progression. Like I said I will be willing to make
the guarantee once we're in a 3.0 or 4.0.  But not now.  Life is hard enough
for us already.  Let's keep the load light and help users when and if there
really are API issues in the end.  But it's safer to say we provide no
guarantee than to say that we do guarantee back compat.

Let's just

--
cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny