directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Shared] [Schema API] SchemaObject byOid and byName lookup issues
Date Sun, 30 Aug 2009 22:32:44 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> I'm running into several bugs and workaround because a byName hash was never
> implemented in the new SchemaObject.  I guess this functionality had to be
> taken out of the OidRegistry and placed into specific type registries to
> avoid name collisions.  However I thought there would be a byName hash.
>
> Any reason why this was explicitly not created ?

I saw that the getOid() method has been replaced by a getOidByName()
method. Not sure that the second method name is better, but in any case,
as I explained in my previous answer, I think that having a byName Map
into the SchemaObject instances is a duplication of data. We just need
to rename the byOid()  ti byName, as the 'oid' usually represent not
only the OID, but the name (this is the reason why the RFC mentions the
numericOid in many places when it wants to refers to the OID).

I find it confusing, at best. byName() is probably better : this method
will return the SchemaObject instance given one of its name ('ou' or
'OrganizationalUnit') or its OID (2.5.4.11).

We can remove the duplicated Map.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com