directory-dev mailing list archives

From Martin Alderson <martin.alder...@salfordsoftware.co.uk>
Subject Re: [Studio] Cruel dilemma with Editor Open Mode in Studio
Date Sat, 15 Aug 2009 21:30:36 GMT
Hi Stefan,

That sounds quite good.  Some thoughts...

There are some users (some technical users even) that often forget
whether they are supposed to single click or double click to open an
item.  It might be a bit confusing for them (or just new users in
general) if they double click an entry and end up with two views on the
same entry.

I'm also thinking that if you have an option to disable the "entry view"
you might as well also have an option to disable the "entry editor".
You could have the entry editor disabled by default which would allow
double clicking to expand / contract a container entry as it does now.
With this you kill two birds with one stone - you don't have confusion
with double click opening two editors and you don't lose the current
expand / contract functionality.  Even with this option the entry editor
should be available from the context menu.

Finally, I think it would be useful if multiple entry editors could be
opened for the same entry.  There are times when I would like to take a
snapshot of an entry then compare it to its state a little bit later on.
  I'm not sure if this is already the plan - I just wanted to bring it
up since you mentioned "there is always one editor per entry".

Thanks,

Martin