directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] How about yet another versioning scheme conversation gang?
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2009 14:17:24 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> I think we're on the same page.  But I would add one more caveat, that Y
> "tries" to maintain API compatibility but there is no guarantee.
Why can't we guarantee that if the API is changed, then the old API will
still be available, but marked as @deprecated, until the next X release
? Is it too strong a constraint?

There is also an aspect which is not related to the API : configuration
_and_ data. For Minor versions, we must guarantee a compatible
configuration, and a compatible dataBase, otherwise we -at least- must
provide teh tooling to migrate easily both of them.

Thoughts ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com