directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] How about yet another versioning scheme conversation gang?
Date Tue, 11 Aug 2009 13:34:24 GMT
Jesse McConnell wrote:
>>  o We have major.minor.micro numbers:
>>     - major number denotes massive architectural shift
>>     - minor number denotes feature introductions
>>     - micro number denotes bug fixes and optimizations without changes to interfaces,
db formats etc

> Why not just adopt the convention that people most commonly associate
> with x.y.z?
>
> X - breaks API, no assurance that you can use out of the box
> Y - features api alteration but basic assurance of api compat
> Z - bug fixes and maintenance releases

I don't think it's far from Alex proposal. As we don't have that much
API exposed, we can say that Y also means the API is not broken. That
probably will imply some @deprecated annotation, nothing much

> I don't see a need to do anything else unless your dealing with some
> requirement being forced on you

Nothing can force us ;)
> fwiw your new one is far more inline with that basic idea and is much
> better then your previous one dealing with .0 and .5 and that
> confusion...

This .5 stuff was introduced just as we wanted to move to Java 5, à la
Tomcat (remember the 5.0/5.5 versions. Looking back in anger, it was not
really a good idea...

So basically, +1 for Alex proposal, assuming Jesse proposal fits in it.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org