directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Client API : Delete request
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2009 02:22:58 GMT
On Wed, Jul 22, 2009 at 7:27 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@apache.org>wrote:

> Hi guys,
>
> following one thread started more than a month ago, I would like to get
> your opinion about the DeleteRequest implementation.
>
> We currently have the following methods (Thanks to Kiran who implemented
> them) :
>
> delete( LdapDN )
> delete( LdapDN, boolean deleteChildren )
> delete( LdapDN, DeleteListener )
> delete( LdapDN, boolean deleteChildren, DeleteListener )
> delete( DeleteRequest );
> delete( DeleteRequest, DeleteListener );

Why not have a delete() and a deleteTree() method and do away with the
deleteChildren parameter?  The parameter permutes the number of method
overloads and I think it's just more clear to use another method name all
together due to the nature of the operation. Here's what this looks like:

delete( LdapDN )
deleteTree( LdapDN )
delete( LdapDN, DeleteListener )
deleteTree( LdapDN, DeleteListener )

I don't see the point to having delete take the DeleteRequest. I guess this
is for convenience in the codec?  If so then might this not be best a
package friendly method overload?

> If we exclude the last parameter, used only for asynchronous requests, we
> have some other options :
>
> - delete( String ) // instead of a LdapDN
> - the boolean (deleteChildren) is associated with a control, we can pass it
> to the DeleteRequest Object.
>
> is the following list of methods enough then ? :
> delete( String [, DeleteListener] )
> delete( LdapDN [, DeleteListener] )
> delete( DeleteRequest [, DeleteListener] )

Hmmm if I want to delete a tree of entries then I will have no choice but to
wrap my LdapDN in a DeleteRequest which I must now create, just to add the
control to delete the subtree.

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org