directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Seelmann <seelm...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Client API : Delete request
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2009 15:43:26 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
>     Maybe we can split the API in two parts :
>     - the core API
>     - an extended API (something like ldapx, as Sun define a javax)
>
>     thoughts ?
>

> Pretty much agree but maybe we don't have to go to that degree.  The
> helpers recommended sound nice.
>
> I don't want to talk for Stefan but I think he wants the reduced set of
> methods needed to just get the job done: sort of like the philosophy of
> RISC.  We can expose more convenience utility methods that build on the
> minimal set to provide more convenience to our users outside of the
> minimal set without cluttering it.  I like this thought process.

Yes, that are my thoughts :-)

I want an API that is close to the protocol. That gives an LDAP
experienced developer all the power of the protocol.

But I fully agree that a Java developer that just needs to do something
with LDAP should not be forced to study all RFCs before s/he could start.

Kind Regards,
Stefan