directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Client API : Delete request
Date Thu, 23 Jul 2009 11:25:27 GMT
Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>
>> Alex Karasulu wrote:
>>
>>> Hmmm if I want to delete a tree of entries then I will have no choice
>>> but to
>>> wrap my LdapDN in a DeleteRequest which I must now create, just to add
>>> the
>>> control to delete the subtree.
>>>

>> Yes, true. IMO, your proposal (deleteTree) is probably better.
>>

> I think the main API shouldn't be overloaded with too much convenience
> methods and should be close to the LDAP protocol. I also think the main
> API should not implement such algorithms (if server supports
> TreeDeleteControl use it, else search/delete recursively).

You may be right. If the server does not support the control, what
should we do ? Implement the recursive deletion cliennt side ? That does
not make a lot of sense, IMO.
> What about putting these helpful convenience methods to a Helper class?
>   DeleteHelper.deleteTree( LdapConnection, LdapDN )
>   DeleteHelper.deleteChildren( LdapConnection, LdapDN)

Maybe we can split the API in two parts :
- the core API
- an extended API (something like ldapx, as Sun define a javax)

thoughts ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com