directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Client API] ModifyDN and Delete operations
Date Sun, 07 Jun 2009 12:57:31 GMT
On Sun, Jun 7, 2009 at 9:56 AM, Kiran Ayyagari<ayyagarikiran@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
>   Here is the proposed API for
>
> ModifyDN operation:
>
>    * modifyDn( String entryDn, String newRdn, boolean deleteOldRdn )
>    * modifyDn( String entryDn, String newRdn, String newParentDn, boolean
> deleteOldRdn )
>    * modifyDn( LdapDN entryDn, Rdn newRDN, boolean deleteOldRDN )
>    * modifyDn( LdapDN entry, Rdn newRDN, LdapDN newParentDn, boolean
> deleteOldRDN )
>    * modifyDn( ModifyDNRequest modDnRequest, ModifyDnListener listener )

Sounds good. I'm wondering if offering methods like :
rename( LdapDN oldDN, RDN newRdn)
move( LdapDN oldDN, LdapDN newDn)

would be better or not ?

Also, I think it's probably better to have the same method without the
deleteOldRdn flag (it's not really frequently used, and it can default
to true).

Last, not least, accepting String could be cool, but we can extend the
API later.

> Delete operation:
>
>    * delete( String dn )
>    * delete( LdapDN dn )
>    * delete( DeleteRequest delRequest, DeleteListener listener )

Loks fine to me.

What about another method to allow deletion of children ?

deleteChildren( String/LdapDN dn) ?

--
Regards,
Cordialement,