directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [Client API] Modify operation
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2009 20:51:54 GMT
> hello guys,

Hi Kiran,

>    Here is my take on client-api starting with modify operation
>
>    The proposed methods are
>
> blocking operations :-
>
>  * ModifyResponse modify( Entry entry, ModificationOperation modOp )
>  * ModifyResponse modify( ModifyRequest modRequest )

The modify() operation acts on a DN, and takes a list of modification,
each one of them being applied on an AttributeType.

The API should looks like :
ModifyResponse modify( LdapDN dn, Modification[] modifications );

>  * ModifyResponse modify( Entry entry, ModificationOperation modOp,
> Control... controls )
>  * ModifyResponse modify( ModifyRequest modRequest, Control... controls )

I don't remember if the other operations support the Control
parameter, or if it would be better to inject those controls into the
ModifyRequest.

> The ModifyRequest contains the following methods
>
> * ModifyRequest( LdapDN dn ) - constructor

+1

> * void add( EntryAttribute attr )
> * void add( String attributeName, String... attributeValue )
> * void add( String attributeName, byte[]... attributeValue ) - this is a
> overloaded version with byte[] values, same for
>  replace and remove operations

Having such operations (add(), remove() and replace() ) is a good
idea. I'm just wondering what could be the parameters for the
replace() method.

>     {same parameters are applied for all 'replace' and 'remove' methods,
> they were not mentioned here for the sake of
>      brevity }
>
> requesting your comments

Sounds like a good start.

--