directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] integrating jetty
Date Thu, 25 Jun 2009 16:13:29 GMT
Jesse McConnell wrote:
>> P.S :- at work, am writing a REST based service with ADS as backend, which
>> will be
>>           served through jetty, incase anyone cares to know ;)
>>
>> Kiran Ayyagari
>>

> I care! :)
>
> jesse

What is important at this point is to know if Jetty will be integrated
as a LdapServer component, or as a HttpServer beside all the other servers.
Atm, what we have when we consider the configuration is something like :

  <!--
  +============================================================+
  | NtpServer configuration
  +============================================================+
  -->
  <!--ntpServer>
    <transports>
      <tcpTransport port="60123"/>
      <udpTransport port="60123" nbThreads="1"/>
    </transports>
  </ntpServer-->

  <!--
  +============================================================+
  | DnsServer configuration
  +============================================================+
  -->
  <!--  missing atou=users,dc=example,dc=com
  <dnsServer>
    <transports>
      <tcpTransport port="8053"/>
      <udpTransport port="8053"/>
    </transports>
    <directoryService>#directoryService</directoryService>
  </dnsServer>
-->

  <!--
  +============================================================+
  | LDAP Service configuration
  +============================================================+
  -->

  <ldapServer id="ldapServer"
            allowAnonymousAccess="false"
            saslHost="ldap.example.com"
            saslPrincipal="ldap/ldap.example.com@EXAMPLE.COM"
            searchBaseDn="ou=users,ou=system"
            maxTimeLimit="15000"
            maxSizeLimit="1000">
    <transports>
      <tcpTransport address="*" port="10389" nbThreads="8" backLog="50"
enableSSL="false"/>
      <tcpTransport address="localhost" port="10686" enableSSL="true"/>
    </transports>

We can define the HttpServer as a new element beside the other ones. If
we want to start it, using Spring, it will be just a matter of adding a
new bean and voilĂ . Now, the communication between Jetty and the
LdapServer will be done through a war injected into Jetty. In some way,
both servers will run in the same JVM, so we will be able to communicate
from jetty's application to the LdapServer (more specifically, to the
DirectoryService) without having to go through the LdapProtocol (using
the DS API). All the glue is brought by Spring.

Another possibility would be to embed Jetty into the LdapServer
instance. I'm not sure that's a good idea, because we may want to have
an HTTP access to communicate with a Kerberos server too (SPNEGO).

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel LĂ©charny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org