directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Questionning some parts of the configuration
Date Thu, 11 Jun 2009 17:10:05 GMT
Hi guys,

as I'm trying to figure out a DiT based configuration for ADS, I'm now
questioning some choice that have been made long ago. I think we can
simplify the configuration a bit.

Let's start with some preliminary comments.

- the base for all the storage is a DirectoryService. This is the heart
of our system.
- we have built a lot of servers on top of it, like Kerberos, DHCP, DNS,
ChangePW and LDAP. Those servers rely on the DirectoryService
- we have one unique server, NTP, which is standalone - ie, it does not
need any DirectoryService -.
- the Ldap server is a bit special, as it is not named LdapServer, as we
would expect when we have a look at the other servers, but ApacheDS, and
it points to 2 LdapService (which in turn associate a DirectoryService
with a transport)
- a Transport is a protocol layer defining the host, port, protocol and
some other network related parameters. Each server has at least one
transport.

Ok, so far, we are lost now :)

I would suggest we clean up a bit all of this.

1) ApacheDS is a condensed name for ApacheDirectoryServer. It's a
server. we will keep the two services (Ldap and Ldaps), even if we
should treat them as transport, not service.
2) All the other servers (NTP, DHCP, Kerberos, DNS) are a combinaison of
one or more transport and an optional DirectoryService, if needed.
3) We will define only one DirectoryService for LDAP. We may want 2
DirectoryServices, one for LDAP and another one for LDAPS. But this is
not what we have in ApacheDS atm (looking at the code, the
DirectoryService is define 3 times : in ApacheDS and in both LdapService).
4) The consequence is that some flags like AllowAnonymousAccess is now
useless in ApacheDS, as it's already present in the LdapService instances.
5) The SyncOnWrite flag is define in a Service class, instanciated in
ApacheDS. That's most certainly not what we want, as it defines a worker
thread in charge of calling directoryService.synch() periodically. This
thread is specific to ApacheDS, and won't be available to someone who
want to use a DirectoryService as a server backend. I suggest we move
the Worker to DirectoryService.

That's pretty much it. Just tell me if you agree, or disagree, before I
commit anything.

Thanks !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny