directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <ayyagariki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Client API] ModifyDN and Delete operations
Date Sun, 07 Jun 2009 16:41:57 GMT

Stefan Seelmann wrote:

>>> What about another method to allow deletion of children ?
>>>
>>> deleteChildren( String/LdapDN dn) ?
>
> What would be the exact meaning of this method?
> - only the immediate children
> - recursively all children
> - the DN plus recursively all children
this method is a bit ambiguous when seen through the above three points
I treated this method as mentioned in point 2 - recursively all children.

May be we can have a method like

  * delete( String/LdapDN dn, boolean deleteChildren )

   the dn and *all* its children will be removed if deleteChildren set to true
   else the dn alone will be deleted

> But what would be tricky is the implementation:
> - Use tree delete control
this is the preferred way IMO
> - try to delete parent first, if error delete children first
> - check for children first
in the absence of tree delete control, I would prefer 'check for children first'
(to save an additional hit on the same dn to fetch children, if exist)
> - what about following aliases and referrals, could be
honestly no clue atm

thanks Seelmann

Kiran Ayyagari