directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <ayyagariki...@gmail.com>
Subject [Shared LDAP] removing the dependency on javax.naming.* classes
Date Sun, 07 Jun 2009 16:00:06 GMT
hello guys,

     Is it possible to completely remove the dependency on classes under javax.naming package?.

     These classes are basically used by the LdapDN and associated parsers. A quick glance
at the
     code gives me a perception that it is possible.

     For example the javax.naming.InvalidNameException is thrown by us when the parsing of
DN fails,
     which IMHO can be replaced with a custom exception class.

     There are also some interfaces like javax.naming.Name which LdapDN class implements,
can we have
     a clone of javax.naming.Name?

     All this was triggered when a user on IRC cannot use ADS on google app-engine cause they
don't allow
     javax.naming classes.

     He can use client API to connect to a outside directory, but only when we take this javax.naming
out
     from shared-ldap module.

     I also think that this way the client API will be an ideal solution and the adoption
rate may increase.

Kiran Ayyagari