directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <ayyagariki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Client API] ModifyDN and Delete operations
Date Sun, 07 Jun 2009 15:16:47 GMT

Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>>    * modifyDn( String entryDn, String newRdn, boolean deleteOldRdn )
>>    * modifyDn( String entryDn, String newRdn, String newParentDn, boolean
>> deleteOldRdn )
>>    * modifyDn( LdapDN entryDn, Rdn newRDN, boolean deleteOldRDN )
>>    * modifyDn( LdapDN entry, Rdn newRDN, LdapDN newParentDn, boolean
>> deleteOldRDN )
>>    * modifyDn( ModifyDNRequest modDnRequest, ModifyDnListener listener )
>
> Sounds good. I'm wondering if offering methods like :
> rename( LdapDN oldDN, RDN newRdn)
> move( LdapDN oldDN, LdapDN newDn)
>
> would be better or not ?
same here, and finally thought of going with the 'modifyDn' name as per RFC but
really prefer the move and rename methods.
what do you say again, should we go for these names? from my side +1.
Want to hear from others too, who might have used different client libraries.

> Also, I think it's probably better to have the same method without the
> deleteOldRdn flag (it's not really frequently used, and it can default
> to true).
>
> Last, not least, accepting String could be cool, but we can extend the
> API later.
yeah, the list of overloaded methods for this operation is higher than any other
operation.
>> Delete operation:
>>
>>    * delete( String dn )
>>    * delete( LdapDN dn )
>>    * delete( DeleteRequest delRequest, DeleteListener listener )
>
> Loks fine to me.
>
> What about another method to allow deletion of children ?
>
> deleteChildren( String/LdapDN dn) ?

+1

thanks Emmanuel

Kiran Ayyagari