directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Issue with entryCSN attribute and schema...
Date Mon, 01 Jun 2009 00:50:19 GMT
Kiran Ayyagari wrote:

> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>> We have options though :
>> - defining a special sid for such entries, 0xFFF for instance. It's
>> very unlikely that we will see any day such a number used for CSN.
> As the CSN is mostly used for replication only, for 1.5.5 I would say
> +1 for this

Or 0, as suggested by Howard.

>> - get rid of this pre-built partition. We load the schema dynamically
>> on server startup, and inject CSN at startup
> +1, I think this will ease the schema injection and eliminates the
> need for creating
> a custom schema partition, which was a recurring question on user's ML
> A question here, how do we detect the schema changes?
We already have a mecanism to handle changes. When loading a schema, we
create an entry in the DIT containing some information about the loaded
schema, like the schema creation date. When the server restart, we can
control that the file hasn't changed. We can also compute a schema
signature to get the same result.

>> - modify the entryCSN for those entries at startup, to inject the
>> current SID
> IMHO this effort will be a waste when we implement (2).
Yep. And too slow.

Thanks Kiran !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny