directory-dev mailing list archives

From "Rellermeyer Jan Simon" <rellerme...@inf.ethz.ch>
Subject RE: svn commit: r782968 [1/7] - in /directory/sandbox/slp: ./ src/main/java/org/apache/directory/slp/ src/main/java/org/apache/directory/slp/codec/ src/main/java/org/apache/directory/slp/extensions/ src/main/java/org/apache/directory/slp/impl/ src/ma
Date Wed, 10 Jun 2009 20:10:34 GMT
Hi Emmanuel,

> You just committed a bunch of code produced by two person (namely you
> and Lorenz), one of them not being a committer (Lorenz). This is
> obviously something we can't accept, as Lorenz is not a committer, for
> legal reasons : as a committer, you transfer the ownership of your
> code to The ASF. If you are not a committer, then the code is assumed
> to be owned by the one who wrote the code. Sadly, we don't accept
> proxies, so you can't endorse the code he wrote.

Okay, sorry for this. I did not know that the sandboxes are under the same legal constraints.

Lorenz is a (now former) student of mine and since he wrote the code as part of a master thesis,
he had to transfer the rights for the code to ETH which in turn gave me the permission to
open source it. I have the forms (somewhere) on my desk. So from our legal point of view,
I can actually transfer the ownership of the entire code to the ASF. If this does not work
for Apache, we can surely find a better way.

> - second option, we can vote Lorenz as a committer,

Yes, I think this is a good idea since he will continue to work on the code. I already asked
him to file some patches.

> Assuming that the previous point has been fixed, it would be we better
> to know which part has been written by Jan and which part has been
> written by Lorenz (not that it's important, but at least for a correct
> attribution).

Every class has an @author tag attributing the original author. Do you need this information
in a different format?

Cheers,

Jan.

MSc Jan S. Rellermeyer, Systems Group, Department of Computer Science, ETH Zurich
IFW B 47.1, Haldeneggsteig 4, CH-8092 Z├╝rich, Switzerland
http://www.systems.ethz.ch