On Thu, May 14, 2009 at 5:52 AM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@apache.org> wrote:
Hi guys,

as we have had an important issue with index lately (https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-1366) -which has been fixed since then-, it might be interesting to review the index usage in ADS.

Which orifice did you pull internal/external from????

system & user indices is what we use.  All system indices are mandatory.

Currently, we are using two kinds of index : internal and external. Internal index are those necessary for ADS to work. Here is the list of the internal index :
- existence
- nDn
- upDn
- alias
- oneAlias
- subAlias
- oneLevel
- subLevel
- objectClass

Two more internal alias will be added shortly : entryCSN and UUID.

As we discussed last month about the DN problem (should we include the DN into the entry or not), we found a way better solution : building an index of RDN instead of DN. It will allow a immediate ModifyDN operation without having a worse performance for the search operation. This will lead to the removal of the nDn and the upDn index (anyway, the upDn index is useless)

The external index are the index declared by a user. They are created when the server starts.

We have also one problem to solve : how can we create an index when the base is already loaded ?

So the idea is to review the way we use index, document it and improve them.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel Lécharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org