directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS] server-tools installation layout
Date Tue, 19 May 2009 01:22:51 GMT
Hi Kiran,

Sorry for taking so long to respond.  More in line.

On Sun, May 17, 2009 at 12:56 PM, Kiran Ayyagari <ayyagarikiran@gmail.com>wrote:

> hello guys,
>
>    I have resumed the work on index building tool.
>
>    The directory structure of the installation has changed in the version
> 1.5.x
>
>    Currently we have two locations of interest
>
>        a. The location of ADS installation - This is represented in the
> code as the InstallationLayout
>
>                |-- bin
>                |-- conf
>                |-- lib
>                |   `-- ext
>                `-- var
>                    |-- log
>                    |-- partitions
>                    `-- run

Right I figure this is what exists over at /opt/apacheds-<version>/.  Note
that this software installation should not have var and all it's children.

We started all this great installation and instance layout stuff but no one
ever cleaned up the discrepancies.  Regardless we're lucky just to have this
instance separation from the installation.

>        b. The location of ADS instance(s) - ( No reference to this in code
> atm )
>
>                |-- conf
>                |-- ldif
>                |-- log
>                |-- partitions
>                |   |-- example
>                |   |-- schema
>                |   `-- system
>                `-- run
>
>    AFAIU all the commands need to have access to the location of the
> instance(b) rather than the
>    InstallationLayout(a)

Right-O!

>    I would like to create a new class to use in the tools which represent
> the location of instance
>    and the associated directories. This is because

It might be a good idea to have this new class for the daemon code and just
reuse it here but you may not have time nor patience to deal with the code
in there.

>    1. the commands require access to partition data
>    2. InstallationLayout class is used mainly by the daemon module and
> don't want to change it.
>
>    Note: There is an issue with the standalone archive installation in
> which both (a) and (b) are
>          in the same location but the partition data directory is in a
> wrong directory.

Hmmm I have no idea about this standalone archive.  Anyone capable of
answering Kiran?

>    wdyt?
>
>    P.S :- I would like to name the new class InstanceLayout

Sounds good mate!

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org