directory-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Zoerner <ste...@labeo.de>
Subject Embedded ApacheDS 1.5 as a Tomcat Realm
Date Mon, 25 May 2009 20:37:39 GMT
Hi all,

I have "wrapped" ApacheDS 1.5.5 as an Apache Tomcat Realm.

Source code (a Maven2 project) is in my sandbox:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/sandbox/szoerner/apacheds-tomcatrealm

What is it?

Within Apache Tomcat, a realm is (cite from Website) a "database" of
user names and passwords that identify valid users of a web application
(or set of web applications), plus an enumeration of the list of roles
associated with each valid user.

In order to use Apache Directory Server (ApacheDS) as a realm, the
straight forward approach is to use the JNDIRealm shipped with Tomcat.
It can handle arbitrary LDAP servers, among them ApacheDS.

Because ApacheDS is 100% pure Java and embeddable, there is another
option: Implement the Realm interface from Apache Tomcat and run within
Tomcat. There are (at least) two interesting things about this approach:

1. Tomcat can use ApacheDS without the wire protocol, because the realm
has a handle to the "in process" API of ApacheDS

2. ApacheDS runs within Tomcat and starts and stops automatically along
with the web application server

While the first point promises some performance advantages, which are
irrelevant in most situations (because LDAP servers like ApacheDS are
optimized for read operations anyway), the second reason makes this
approach a good option for development environments.

Learn more about it (I have started a minimal documentation) here
http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/DIRxSBOX/ApacheDS+as+a+Tomcat+Realm

I hope, some people think it is useful. If so, we can perhaps create an
official artifact out of it, later on.

Any feedback is highly appreciated.

Greetings from Hamburg,
     Stefan