directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <ayyagariki...@gmail.com>
Subject [ApacheDS] index builder tool
Date Thu, 21 May 2009 17:07:37 GMT
hello guys,

    Got the index builder tool working and I have a question :)

    Had a brief chat with Emmanuel on IRC which raised up this question,

    Should this tool be part of the core?.

    Consider a scenario where a new index has been added in the server.xml
    file when the server already holds some data but it isn't indexed till this moment.

    In this case if the server automatically checks this new change and builds an index
    after considering the user's choice( kind of yes/no) OR using a global optional flag
    like --rebuild-index (so that the user interaction can be avoided), then there is no
    need to explicitly invoke this tool every time a new index needs to be added.
    (except when the user wants to rebuild an existing index offline)

    P.S :- I liked the rebuild-index option

Kiran Ayyagari