directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [index review] Existance/Existence/Presence index
Date Fri, 15 May 2009 09:29:25 GMT
Howard Chu wrote:
> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> while applying Kiran's patch for new system index, I found that we
>> should fix some inconsistency. We have what we name 'Existance' index,
>> which is the 'Presence' index.
>>
>> First, we should get rid of the 'existance' name, and replace it by
>> 'existence'.
>>
>> Second, we should keep only one of the 'existence' or 'presence'. Unless
>> I'm totally wrong, they are just the same. The question is which one
>> should we keep ? I would prefer keeping 'existence' rather than
>> presence, because it's more explicit.
>>
>> Thoughts ?
>
> "Presence" has established history in the protocol specs...

As I replied to this mail in my response to your mail about the EntryCSN
(I'm a bit confused ...) :
- let's remove the exist[ae]nce and replace it by 'presence' (and not
presance ;)
- let's keep using a BTree for all those guys (UUID and entryCSN). We
will have to find time to experiment how many micro-seconds we may spare
by using a HTree on UUID later ;)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com