directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject [index review] Index rebuilding/creation
Date Fri, 15 May 2009 07:30:23 GMT
I have renamed the thread, because I think we need to discuss everything
about index construction or reconstruction when the server already
contains data.

Kiran Ayyagari wrote:

> Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
>> Ok, let's go deep into each system index now. We don't really care
>> about user index right now.
>>
>> First, we have to know that a system index can still be configured in
>> the Server.xml file, because the user can set the index size. We need
>> to clarify exactly what can be configured, what is the default and
>> also discuss about what can be improved.
>>
>> 1) What can be configured
>>
>> Let's list the parameter we can work on :
>> - wkDirPath : the working directory path used to store the index
>
> <paranoia>
>  What if the user configures it to '/tmp' and reboots the machine
> after the server has loaded some data.
>  All the indexed data would be lost. May be we should warn users about
> it in the doc
> </paranoia>
We can't protect users against themselves... Someone deciding to put an
index on /tmp either knows what he does or deserves to see his index
being deleted on reboot ;)

> We should have some mechanism where by the server notifies the user
> either to rebuild the index or
> the server itself does it.
I was thinking about the index rebuilding problem, or more probably,
index building after addition of one index after data has been injected
into the server. We need such a tool, the thing is how to implement it ?
Is it possible to have a on-line index construction system ? (ie, a
mechanism able to build an index while the server is running).

IMHO, I think we should offer a simple index creation system. It can be
activated as a separate process, or probably better, as a startup option
for the server, so we can invoke it through Studio.

> This should be easy as we already have a command line tool to rebuild
> the index the only thing is to fix
> this partially broken tool (I have started to fix this tool sometime
> back but it hasn't come out of
> workspace may be for 2.0 it will :) and add some code to the server to
> notify the user.
That could be a good start.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny