directory-dev mailing list archives

From Kiran Ayyagari <ayyagariki...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [index review] System indexes
Date Fri, 15 May 2009 04:36:54 GMT

Emmanuel Lecharny wrote:
> Ok, let's go deep into each system index now. We don't really care about
> user index right now.
>
> First, we have to know that a system index can still be configured in
> the Server.xml file, because the user can set the index size. We need to
> clarify exactly what can be configured, what is the default and also
> discuss about what can be improved.
>
> 1) What can be configured
>
> Let's list the parameter we can work on :
> - wkDirPath : the working directory path used to store the index

<paranoia>
  What if the user configures it to '/tmp' and reboots the machine after the server has loaded
some data.
  All the indexed data would be lost. May be we should warn users about it in the doc
</paranoia>

We should have some mechanism where by the server notifies the user either to rebuild the
index or
the server itself does it.

This should be easy as we already have a command line tool to rebuild the index the only thing
is to fix
this partially broken tool (I have started to fix this tool sometime back but it hasn't come
out of
workspace may be for 2.0 it will :) and add some code to the server to notify the user.

> 2) Default values ?
> The cacheSize is usually set to 100 elements. Some load tests are
> necessary to define the best possible value for this parameter. This is
> also the case for the numDupLimit parameter, which is set to 512
> elements, and atl never changed.
>
> The working diretcory remains the same as the one associated with the
> partition.

+1

> 3) What can be improved ?
> It's obvious that having the OID instead of the name is not a good
> thing. We would rather have "apacheNdn" instead.

+1
> The parameter for the cache size should be dynamic (ie, it can be change
> while the server is running (at least increased)

+1

Kiran Ayyagari