directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject [index review]
Date Thu, 14 May 2009 09:52:44 GMT
Hi guys,

as we have had an important issue with index lately
(https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/DIRSERVER-1366) -which has been
fixed since then-, it might be interesting to review the index usage in ADS.

Currently, we are using two kinds of index : internal and external.
Internal index are those necessary for ADS to work. Here is the list of
the internal index :
- existence
- nDn
- upDn
- alias
- oneAlias
- subAlias
- oneLevel
- subLevel
- objectClass

Two more internal alias will be added shortly : entryCSN and UUID.

As we discussed last month about the DN problem (should we include the
DN into the entry or not), we found a way better solution : building an
index of RDN instead of DN. It will allow a immediate ModifyDN operation
without having a worse performance for the search operation. This will
lead to the removal of the nDn and the upDn index (anyway, the upDn
index is useless)

The external index are the index declared by a user. They are created
when the server starts.

We have also one problem to solve : how can we create an index when the
base is already loaded ?

So the idea is to review the way we use index, document it and improve them.

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com
directory.apache.org