directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Alias issues
Date Tue, 05 May 2009 22:26:09 GMT
Stefan Seelmann wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> When trying to add an alias entry which aliasedObjectName points to an
> non-existing entry, this is refused by the server. That's OK to avoid an
> inconsistent state.
>
> However it is possible to
> - add a real entry, say "ou=people,dc=example,dc=com"
> - add an alias to it, say "ou=users,dc=example,dc=com"
> - delete the real entry "ou=people,dc=example,dc=com"
> After that the alias "ou=users,dc=example,dc=com" still exists and its
> aliasedObjectName still contains "ou=people,dc=example,dc=com", but that
> doesn't exist. Now when deleting this alias I get an NPE when dropping
> the subAliasIdx.

That should not be the case. It should be fixed.
> I'd like to discuss the possible solutions:
>
> 1. Reject deletion of an entry, when an alias points to this entry. This
> is easy to check in the JdbmStore using the aliasIdx.

No. We can have an alias pointing to nothing, we just have to return an
AliasProbkel error :

aliasProblem (33)
         Indicates that an alias problem has occurred.  For example,
         the code may used to indicate an alias has been dereferenced
         that names no object.

> 2. Automatically delete all alias entries that point to the entry that
> should be deleted (cool, some kind of cascade delete). This is also easy
> to implement in JdmbStore.

Same as previously : we should keep the alias, just in case.
> 3. Keep the current sitation, but then we need to add some error
> handling for the aliasIdx, oneAliasIdx and subAliasIdx, what is painful
> IMHO.

+1. Painful, but necessary, IMHO... Don't we have a cache will all the
aliases taht is built when we start the server ? (I don't remember from
the top of my head ...)

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com