directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <>
Subject Re: [Client API] Search operation
Date Tue, 05 May 2009 22:09:28 GMT
Alex Karasulu wrote:
> Hi Emmanuel,
> The most important thing to realize is what changes most with each search
> request.  The base does change most.  The filter does but sometimes does not
> need to be provided since people just want everything.  I can see something
> like:
> => searches the rootDSE ? Or should this be conn.getRootDse()
> ?
I have implented both features : a simple search() with no argument
returns the rootDSE, but I also added the two methods :

getRootDSE( String... attributes )

so you can explicitely request for the RootDSE, and grab one specific
attribute if needed. I still have to define the same operation for the
asynchronous mode.

> baseDN ) => searches the base with one level scope and
OBJECT would be better. It's like you want the attributes of a specific
entry, no need to look down the tree...
> (objectClass=*)
> baseDN, filter )
> baseDN, filter, scope )

Yeah, I guess those methods are needed. it's too painful to add all the
params when you only want an entry
> Attributes and size/time limits might be best left to be overridden in the
> SearchRequest? However these parameters should be set to some smart default
> when using the signatures above.  For example the sizeLimit may default to
> 1000 entries.
I guess it should be set into the LdapConnection object, as suggested bu

> Also I was wondering how the Cursor interface fits into this.  Right now we
> used the DirectoryListener.
I'm using it for the synchronous search : works pretty well, so far.

Continuing ...

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny

View raw message