Emmanuel,
 here is where the buffer is finally wrote:

org.apache.mina.core.polling.AbstractPollingIoProcessor [line: 758] :  localWrittenBytes = write(session, buf, length);

It looks like this is not called until a SearchResponseDoneImpl
is writed and encoded here:

org.apache.directory.server.ldap.handlers-SearchHandler [line: 951] : session.getIoSession().write( done );

Andrea