directory-dev mailing list archives

From "rahul.soa" <rahul....@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: Initial Draft for gsoc proxy plugin project
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 23:43:39 GMT
Hell everyone,

I have submitted the proposal on gsoc site for LDAP proxy project.

Many Thanks for your comments.

Best Regards,
Rahul

On Sat, Mar 28, 2009 at 6:18 PM, rahul.soa <rahul.soa@googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hello Martin,
>
> Thanks for your immediate suggestions.
>
> On Thu, Mar 26, 2009 at 1:00 PM, Martin Alderson
> <Martin.Alderson@salfordsoftware.co.uk> wrote:
>> Hi Rahul,
>>
>> I know that personally I would like to see a standalone service (non-gui) to start
with that would act as an intermediate LDAP server, passing all requests on to a target LDAP
server.  This could be configured to do various tasks like dump the requests and responses
to an LDIF file, load balance.. etc.

> Yes, I agree with you and what you suggested above is convincing for
> me as well. As all the requests/responses pass through the proxy where
> we can keep them in LDIF file for analysis (I guess). In addition,
> proxy can think about the load balancing before forwarding the
> requests to LDAP servers.
>
>  I don't know if the proxy you describe would work at that level.
>
>  What I described in the draft was more or less a “debugger tool” as
> an eclipse plugin (GUI) just to analyze the request/response to and
> from server.
>

>> Thinking about it further perhaps this would just involve writing a new pass-through
partition (backend) for ApacheDS (I think this has been talked about in the past).  This
partition would send a request on to another target LDAP server instead of using it against
a local database.

> Yes. honestly, I need to understand the internals to see how we can
> implement this and can implement a new intermediary pass through
> partition for this. I am reading developers documentation.
>
>> Once we have that a Studio plug-in could be written to show the output of the journal
or changelog interceptors that I think Emmanuel's been working on.  In addition or instead
of that we could write an extra "debug" ApacheDS interceptor to allow Studio to intercept
a request and decide what to do with it in real time (i.e. cancel or continue with an optional
modification).

> Yes right.
>
>> This seems to me to be a more flexible and useful direction to take rather than just
writing another standalone tool.  I think it also helps to have the project broken into mostly
independent chunks like this.

>> How does that sound?
> It sounds appealing to me and giving me both functionality (proxy and
> debugger) separately.
>
> And with this discussion I am familiar with two terms partition and interceptor.
>

>> Martin
>>

> Best Regards,
> Rahul

the LDAP server and client for debugging/diagnosing purpose. This plug-in will be encapsulated
in Apache Studio.

>> Detailed Description:
>> ---------------------
>>
>> In order to expose message exchange (request/response - such as bind, search, add
entry, delete entry, modify entry etc.)  between the Directory Server (LDAP Server) and client
(Apache Studio), there is a need of proxy tool (initially a debugger tool) which will allow
us to analyze the exchanged decoded messages. Furthermore, this proxy should allow us to store
the messages in xml format to generate tests based on those recorded requests/responses messages.

>> This proxy will be integrated in the Apache Studio as an eclipse plug-in and will
provide the debugging facility "on demand". This proxy plug-in will be able to work with any
kind of LDAP server. The basic idea is to extract the exchanged PDU (Protocol Data Unit) and
to present them with their decoded values. This will enable us to explore the system to understand
how it works by tracing down the request and response and to see what messages we send to
and receive from the LDAP server.

>> The future work could be to extend this debugging/diagnostic tool to a real proxy
by implementing some additional new features like integrating a LDAP smart load balancer or
switch (smartly distribute the connection and search requests based on the namingContext across
replica and by taking advantage of already populated cache respectively), failover mechanism
(to improve the availability) and security features (filtering mechanism and logging utilities
etc).