directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@apache.org>
Subject [ApacheDS] Package cleanup
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 17:20:34 GMT
Hi all,

I've been looking at the packages in the apacheds project and as you can
imagine many things grew wild out of short term efforts to get things done.
Before we move forward with a 2.0 and even sooner before considering any
kind of use for OSGi we need to clean up this package structure and have
some order.  From then on we can take care in how we organize things.

I'd like to open a discussion about how best to organize our package
structure.  I'll seed it by listing my objectives:

(1) cleanup unused modules and packages
(2) split out interfaces from implementations into their own packages and
modules
(3) have a consistent scheme for naming and allocating sub packages under
o.a.d.server.core and o.a.d.server

Our inherent policy was to use o.a.d.server.core.* for packages associated
with the DirectoryService which did not require any network access.  It was
for everything needed to store and manage LDAP entries and conduct LDAP
operations on them without having to go over the wire.  The o.a.d.server.*
packages minus o.a.d.server.core.* was for anything above this layer that
depended on it and used some kind of networking like the LdapService and the
AuthenticationService (in the protocol-kerberos module).

Over time with most developers working in this project this convention
started to get mixed up.  I was wondering if this convention is worth
keeping or something beter can be proposed.  If we keep this convention I
will cleanup and make sure everything follows it.

Next I would like to have a consistent naming scheme for the modules.  Any
ideas here?

Thanks,
Alex

----------------------------------

I ran the following command to generate a listing of the Maven modules and
their packages:

   find . -type d | egrep
'.*src\/main\/java\/org\/apache\/directory\/server\/.*' | grep -v .svn | sed
-e 's/\/src\/main\/java\//    /' | sed -e 's/\//\./g' | sed -e 's/\.\.//' |
sort

Here's the list of packages grouped by module:

avl-partition
  org.apache.directory.server.core
  org.apache.directory.server.core.partition
  org.apache.directory.server.core.partition.avl

bootstrap-extract
  org.apache.directory.server.schema
  org.apache.directory.server.schema.bootstrap
  org.apache.directory.server.schema.bootstrap.partition

bootstrap-plugin
  org.apache.directory.server.core
  org.apache.directory.server.core.bootstrap
  org.apache.directory.server.core.bootstrap.plugin

core-api
  org.apache.directory.server.core
  org.apache.directory.server.core.changelog
  org.apache.directory.server.core.event
  org.apache.directory.server.core.filtering
  org.apache.directory.server.core.interceptor
  org.apache.directory.server.core.interceptor.context
  org.apache.directory.server.core.invocation
  org.apache.directory.server.core.partition
  org.apache.directory.server.core.schema
  org.apache.directory.server.core
  org.apache.directory.server.core.avltree

core-constants
  org.apache.directory.server.constants

core-cursor
  org.apache.directory.server.core
  org.apache.directory.server.core.cursor

core-entry
  org.apache.directory.server.core
  org.apache.directory.server.core.entry

core-integ
  org.apache.directory.server.core
  org.apache.directory.server.core.integ
  org.apache.directory.server.core.integ.annotations
  org.apache.directory.server.core.integ.state
  org.apache.directory.server.core
  org.apache.directory.server.core.interceptor
  org.apache.directory.server.core.interceptor.context

core-jndi
  org.apache.directory.server.core
  org.apache.directory.server.core.jndi

core
  org.apache.directory.server.core
  org.apache.directory.server.core.authn
  org.apache.directory.server.core.authz
  org.apache.directory.server.core.authz.support
  org.apache.directory.server.core.changelog
  org.apache.directory.server.core.collective
  org.apache.directory.server.core.configuration
  org.apache.directory.server.core.event
  org.apache.directory.server.core.exception
  org.apache.directory.server.core.impl
  org.apache.directory.server.core.normalization
  org.apache.directory.server.core.operational
  org.apache.directory.server.core.partition
  org.apache.directory.server.core.prefs
  org.apache.directory.server.core.referral
  org.apache.directory.server.core.schema
  org.apache.directory.server.core.security
  org.apache.directory.server.core.sp
  org.apache.directory.server.core.sp.java
  org.apache.directory.server.core.subtree
  org.apache.directory.server.core.trigger

core-plugin
  org.apache.directory.server.core
  org.apache.directory.server.core.tools
  org.apache.directory.server.core.tools.schema

core-shared
  org.apache.directory.server.core
  org.apache.directory.server.schema
  org.apache.directory.server.schema.bootstrap

core-splay
  org.apache.directory.server.core
  org.apache.directory.server.core.splay

core-unit
  org.apache.directory.server.core
  org.apache.directory.server.core.unit

interceptor-kerberos
  org.apache.directory.server.core
  org.apache.directory.server.core.kerberos

jdbm-partition
  org.apache.directory.server.core
  org.apache.directory.server.core.partition
  org.apache.directory.server.core.partition.jdbm

kerberos-shared
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.crypto
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.crypto.checksum
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.crypto.encryption
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.exceptions
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.io
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.io.decoder
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.io.encoder
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.jaas
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.keytab
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.messages
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.messages.application
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.messages.components
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.messages.value
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.messages.value.flags
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.messages.value.types
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.replay
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.service
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.store
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.shared.store.operations

ldif-partition
  org.apache.directory.server.core
  org.apache.directory.server.core.partition
  org.apache.directory.server.core.partition.ldif

oracle-partition
  org.apache.directory.server.partition
  org.apache.directory.server.partition.impl
  org.apache.directory.server.partition.impl.oracle

protocol-changepw
  org.apache.directory.server.changepw
  org.apache.directory.server.changepw.exceptions
  org.apache.directory.server.changepw.io
  org.apache.directory.server.changepw.messages
  org.apache.directory.server.changepw.protocol
  org.apache.directory.server.changepw.service
  org.apache.directory.server.changepw.value

protocol-dhcp
  org.apache.directory.server.dhcp
  org.apache.directory.server.dhcp.io
  org.apache.directory.server.dhcp.messages
  org.apache.directory.server.dhcp.options
  org.apache.directory.server.dhcp.options.dhcp
  org.apache.directory.server.dhcp.options.linklayer
  org.apache.directory.server.dhcp.options.misc
  org.apache.directory.server.dhcp.options.perhost
  org.apache.directory.server.dhcp.options.perinterface
  org.apache.directory.server.dhcp.options.tcp
  org.apache.directory.server.dhcp.options.vendor
  org.apache.directory.server.dhcp.protocol
  org.apache.directory.server.dhcp.service
  org.apache.directory.server.dhcp.store

protocol-dns
  org.apache.directory.server.dns
  org.apache.directory.server.dns.io
  org.apache.directory.server.dns.io.decoder
  org.apache.directory.server.dns.io.encoder
  org.apache.directory.server.dns.messages
  org.apache.directory.server.dns.protocol
  org.apache.directory.server.dns.service
  org.apache.directory.server.dns.store
  org.apache.directory.server.dns.store.jndi
  org.apache.directory.server.dns.store.jndi.operations
  org.apache.directory.server.dns.util

protocol-kerberos
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.kdc
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.kdc.authentication
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.kdc.ticketgrant
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.protocol
  org.apache.directory.server.kerberos.sam

protocol-ldap
  org.apache.directory.server.ldap
  org.apache.directory.server.ldap.gui
  org.apache.directory.server.ldap.handlers
  org.apache.directory.server.ldap.handlers.bind
  org.apache.directory.server.ldap.handlers.bind.cramMD5
  org.apache.directory.server.ldap.handlers.bind.digestMD5
  org.apache.directory.server.ldap.handlers.bind.gssapi
  org.apache.directory.server.ldap.handlers.bind.ntlm
  org.apache.directory.server.ldap.handlers.bind.plain
  org.apache.directory.server.ldap.handlers.controls
  org.apache.directory.server.ldap.handlers.extended
  org.apache.directory.server.ldap.handlers.ssl
  org.apache.directory.server.ldap.handlers.starttls

protocol-ntp
  org.apache.directory.server.ntp
  org.apache.directory.server.ntp.io
  org.apache.directory.server.ntp.messages
  org.apache.directory.server.ntp.protocol
  org.apache.directory.server.ntp.service

protocol-shared
  org.apache.directory.server.protocol
  org.apache.directory.server.protocol.shared
  org.apache.directory.server.protocol.shared.catalog
  org.apache.directory.server.protocol.shared.store
  org.apache.directory.server.protocol.shared.transport

schema-bootstrap
  org.apache.directory.server.schema
  org.apache.directory.server.schema.bootstrap

schema-extras
  org.apache.directory.server.schema
  org.apache.directory.server.schema.bootstrap

schema-registries
  org.apache.directory.server.schema
  org.apache.directory.server.schema.registries

server-integ
  org.apache.directory.server.integ
  org.apache.directory.server.integ.state

server-jndi
  org.apache.directory.server.configuration

server-replication
  org.apache.directory.server.replication
  org.apache.directory.server.replication.configuration

server-sar
  org.apache.directory.server.sar

server-tools
  org.apache.directory.server.tools

server-unit
  org.apache.directory.server.unit

utils
  org.apache.directory.server.utils

xdbm-base
  org.apache.directory.server.xdbm
  org.apache.directory.server.xdbm.search

xdbm-search
  org.apache.directory.server.xdbm
  org.apache.directory.server.xdbm.search
  org.apache.directory.server.xdbm.search.impl

xdbm-tools
  org.apache.directory.server.xdbm
  org.apache.directory.server.xdbm.tools
  org.apache.directory.server.xdbm.tools.ui

--
Alex Karasulu
Apache MINA :: http://mina.apache.org