directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: SLP DA status
Date Mon, 06 Apr 2009 14:05:19 GMT
On Mon, Apr 6, 2009 at 3:55 AM, Lorenz Breu <bru@hot-shot.com> wrote:

> Hi Chris
>
> jSLP 2.0, which includes the DA, is basically finished and should be
> released within the next few weeks. The current implementation can use
> an embedded ADS as a backend, but currently jSLP is still a standalone
> project. The out-of-the-box jSLP DA uses a simple in-memory HashMap, but
> the code for the ADS (1.5) backend will also be released as a separate
> package.

That's great.  How about contributing it to Directory?

> jSLP 2.0 was developed on top of MINA, which does not support multicast
> as of yet. I did however whip up the necessary MINA code for
> multicasting over APR. The code was posted to the MINA issue tracker a
> while back, but no news from the MINA guys yet.

I will contact some people to make sure we can add this code to MINA before
2.0.  Emmanuel also may comment on this.

> I don't know what we
> will do there, maybe release that code on the jSLP page as well. That
> multicasting code didn't work for me under windows, probably due to a
> problem in tomcat native, but it worked fine under linux (32 and 64 bit).
> jSLP is an extension of jSLP and a lot of changes were made. While the
> DA part seems to work well, some features have still to be implemented,
> such as localization support and SLP security functionality (which also
> seems to be FUBAR in OpenSLP).
>
> I guess "reversing the roles" by using jSLP to build an ApacheDS DA
> shouldn't be too hard, just a matter of retrieving a DirectoryAgent von
> jSLP within ADS...

Yes this can be done.  Was just hoping something can form about SLP here at
Apache.  Regardless the story goes on and anything is possible.

Thanks,
Alex