directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ldap server buffers search results?
Date Sun, 05 Apr 2009 13:58:38 GMT
On Sat, Apr 4, 2009 at 6:41 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@apache.org>wrote:

> Some follow-up :
>
> I have done many tests, and I successfully got a working server without
> having all the messages stored in memory, simply by changing the way the
> ExecutorFilter is instanciated. In LdapService, line 361, instead of :
>
>       // Now inject an ExecutorFilter for the write operations
>       // We use the same number of thread than the number of IoProcessor
>       // (NOTE : this has to be double checked)
>       ((DefaultIoFilterChainBuilder)chain).addLast( "executor",
>               new ExecutorFilter( new OrderedThreadPoolExecutor(
> getTcpTransport().getNbThreads() ),
>                   IoEventType.WRITE ) );
>
> use :
>
>       // Now inject an ExecutorFilter for the write operations
>       // We use the same number of thread than the number of IoProcessor
>       // (NOTE : this has to be double checked)
>       ((DefaultIoFilterChainBuilder)chain).addLast( "executor",
>               new ExecutorFilter( new OrderedThreadPoolExecutor(
> getTcpTransport().getNbThreads() ) ) );
>
> Now, the executor is used in both ways, and it seems to work much better.

So the Executor is not being used for all event types: reads, and writes.
How is this effecting the dynamic.  I think it's very important for us to
have a good written characterization of the problem before hand.  Then we
can follow up with a summary of what each approach does.

The reason why I'm being a bit anal about this is because I know the
dynamics of MINA are going to be dramatically impacted when ApacheDS is put
under heavy load.

Alex