directory-dev mailing list archives

From Alex Karasulu <akaras...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [Client API] Bind Operation
Date Wed, 01 Apr 2009 09:39:53 GMT
Hi Emm,

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 11:20 PM, Emmanuel Lecharny <elecharny@apache.org>wrote:

> So here is what I have from now on :
>

> Simple bind (blocking) :
>   public LdapResponse bind()  throws LdapException
>   public LdapResponse bind( String name ) throws Exception
>   public LdapResponse bind( String name, String credentials ) throws
> LdapException
>   public LdapResponse bind( String name, byte[] credentials )  throws
> LdapException

For the common (90%) case perhaps just bind() and bind( String, String )
works no?

> Sasl and other complex operations (blocking and not blocking):
>   public LdapResponse bind( BindRequest bindRequest ) throws LdapException
>   public void bind( BindRequest bindRequest, BindListener bindListener )
> throws LdapException

Cool.

> I was trying to evaluate if it's a good idea to have bindSasl() methods,
> instead of having a generic bind( BindRequest). In this case, we will have
> this additional method  :
>   public LdapResponse bindSasl( String name, String mechanism, byte[]
> credentials )  throws LdapException

Yeah this helps with the simple case.  People are using SASL more and more
these days.  More common though people are using StartTLS.  Maybe that's
something to keep in mind.  But do  we really need this in some kind of
simple case?  Again we want to balance convenience with congestion to make
the API as easy to use and understand as possible.

Alex