directory-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [ApacheDS][AvlTreeMap] insert() fails to replace old value
Date Thu, 02 Apr 2009 07:34:34 GMT

On Apr 1, 2009, at 10:28 PM, Kiran Ayyagari wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:
>> Why isn't it V insert(K, V)?  AvlTreeMap doesn't appear to extend
>> anything.... I don't see how returning the supplied key is very
>> useful whereas returning the previous value if any is quite useful.
>
> that makes sense, cause its a map, but one issue is this map
> supports duplicates
> also, in this case the 'value' defined as V will not be of the same
> type as the one given during instantiation.
> e.x given the declaration as AvlTreeMap<Integer,Integer> treeMap =
> new AvlTreeMap<Integer,Integer>()
> in case duplicates are enabled the 'value' will hold a AvlTree type.
>
> This can easily lead to CCE without some extra checks.

I don't quite see your point of view.  I figured that "put" methods
only return a value when they replace a previous value.  If duplicates
are allowed, then put will never replace a value and always return
null.  If duplicates are not allowed, then there will be 0 (null) or 1
(V) objects to return.

> Alex, wdyt? is there any use case that requires the value, if yes,
> should the same semantic be applied to remove(K,V) also?

I don't see how a return from this can be useful unless something like
remove(K, null) removes all the values associated with K.  In that
case returning AvlTree<V> might be more appropriate.  On the other
hand my naive expectations would be that remove(K, null) would only
remove something is insert(K, null) had been called.  If I wanted to
remove all the values associated with a K I'd want a method remove(K)
and having this return an AvlTree(V) seems more appropriate (this
could be a singleton if there is only one value).

thanks
david jencks