directory-dev mailing list archives

From Pierre-Arnaud Marcelot ...@marcelot.net>
Subject [Studio] [Apache DS] Windows Installer problems (was Re: [Studio] German translation needed for Studio's internationalized Windows Installer)
Date Thu, 09 Apr 2009 09:37:19 GMT
Hi again,
We've done some test with Stefan and we've found yet another issue.

Just a quick recap on what's going on with the Windows installer, so
everyone can understand the situation.

Emmanuel found a MAJOR bug in the windows installer of Studio (which also
affects the Server's installer too).
If you install the software in a directory where there's already something
in it, when uninstalling, this directory is also removed (content included
of course).

Hopefully, that's not really the way softwares are installed on Windows, so
I believe, only Emmanuel has expericenced this kind of problem for now (we
would have had some JIRAs about it).

Anyway, that's not acceptable and needs to be fixed.

I tried a first solution and fixed the installer in the way that when
choosing a custom place to install Studio, the installer would add at the
end of the path a 'Apache Directory Studio' sub-directory. And that's this
sub-directory that would be dropped when uninstalling.
The problem is, this solution only works when you use the "Browse" button
when choosing the custom location. If you enter directly the path where you
want to install Studio in the text field itself, the installer does not add
the 'Apache Directory Studio' sub-directory. So, when uninstalling, you're
dropping everything...

Then, I used another solution and that's what's using the current installer.
It's using a journal that logs every file that been installed.

When uninstalling, the uninstaller reads this journal and for any file that
is in the install directory but not in the journal, it asks you whether or
not the file or directory should be deleted.

This may seem good but this leads to several problems:

   - if the directory you installed the software in is crowded of many other
   files, you will be asked a lot of questions.
   - when studio launches, it usually unpack a few plugins in /configuration
   and as these files were not there at the installation, when uninstalling,
   you'll be asked a lot of questions.

So, this solution is not adeaquate too...

At the end, I'm considering providing the win32 distribution as a simple ZIP
file (like Eclipse) but I like the idea of having an installer (Windows is a
dummies world).

The last solution we were considering with Stefan on IM, was removing the
journal as it's not at a good solution for our particular need, and in the
uninstaller only remove files and directories we installed (without asking
if new files have been put in them).
For example, for Studio, this means removing:

   - Apache Directory Studio.exe (file)
   - LICENSE.txt (file)
   - NOTICE.txt (file)
   - Release Notes.txt (file)
   - Uninstall.exe (file)
   - configuration/ (directory)
   - features/ (directory)
   - plugins/ (directory)

However, this would of course let the container directory ("Apache Directory
Studio" directory for a classic installation) on the disk. But it's way
safer than before and not intrusive as is the uninstall journal.

I'd love to hear what think about all this situation...

I posted this with a double label [Studio] [Apache DS] because we're using
the same technology for the both softwares and I think this needs to be
discussed.

>From now on, the release of Apache Directory Studio is still pending until a
decision is made on how to handle these installer issues.

Regards,
Pierre-Arnaud