directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Project reorganization proposal
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 19:29:03 GMT
Christine Koppelt wrote:
> Hi Emmanuel,
>
> the Kerberos stuff is quite broken atm mainly due to a lack of
> reliable unit tests (for example [1]) and the whole
> bigbang-mina2-merging thing. So far it's not such a big thing to fix
> it. I started with it last week and at the moment it's at least
> possible again to start the server and obtain TGTs (will write another
> mail about this after doing a bit more tests), but I fear if there is
> another big reorganisation of the whole codebase it would be much
> harder to fix.

First, I would like to thank you for having made the server working again !

About the reorg, it's nothing but urgent. It's just a proposal, and
unless the server is back to normal, I don't think we want to mess
around the classes and such. My perception is that until we have a
correct configuration system working, we won't move, and it might take
at least a couple of month.

> My suggestion: Fix the stuff, so that the server has at least the
> kerberos functionality it had back in 1.5.1, and, more important, add
> unit-tests that reliable test the whole functionality.
Totally +1 with that !
> If we then have
> at least 2+x (x>=0) committers for it, I will support this proposal.

Can I vote more than once ? ;)
> I'm willing to work on the Kerberos server further, but don't have
> that much time atm. Kiran, it would be great if you could also have a
> look at it.

FYI, I have started to rewrite a big part of the codec. I started 2
years ago, and never had time to finish, due to some personnal issue.
But I still have all the code I have modified, which represent around
70% of the necessary modifications. I have partially started to inject
those modifications into trunk, but only 20% is done.

Although, I would like everyone to consider another idea : creating a
new JIRA for kerberos (DIR-KERBEROS) where we can store all the kerberos
related issues. Does it make sense to you guys ?

Thanks a lot Christine !

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny
www.iktek.com