directory-dev mailing list archives

From Emmanuel Lecharny <elecha...@apache.org>
Subject Project reorganization proposal
Date Fri, 03 Apr 2009 11:44:14 GMT
Hi guys,

it's now one week ApacheConference EU is over and we had time to recover
(barely) from this very interesting event. As Alex is still in Paris, we
also had time to share some ideas about the internal project
organization (I'm specifically refering the source base, not about the
people and roles here). Let me now share those ideas with the dev list.

We currently have a few 'top level' projects :
* Apache DS 1.0
* Apache DS 1.5
* Studio
* Triplesec

Those are the projects a user can see on the web site. It's maybe time
to change that a bit. We could have something like :
* LDAP Client-API
* ApacheDS
  o ADS 1.0 (will die some day ...)
  o ADS 1.5 (won't survive 2.0)
  o ADS 2.0 (soon !)
* Studio
* Kerberos
* Triplesec

- The LDAP client-API will be a new project, marked as 'WiP' (Work in
Progress).
- Kerberos may deserves its own project at some point, if we have
aenough committers working on it. Obviously will be marked as WiP. The
big advantage wpuld be to potentially bring more visibility to this project
- Triplesec should also be marked as WiP, or even better, 'prototype'.

Now, let's think about the inner modules. The new client-API will
contain a lot of shared code. Here are the elements I see can be part of
the client-API :
o Entry
o Connection
o LDIF
o DSML
o DN
o RDN
o AttributeTypeAndValue
o ObjectClass
o AttributeType
o Syntax
o MatchingRule
o Message (all the LDAP requests)

Then we can change the dependencies : the client-API will depend from
shared, and all other modules will depend on both client-API and shared.
That does not change drastically the ApacheDS project though.

May be we can rename Client-API to Apache LDAP API too, as the server
will depend on the client-API.

wdyt ?

cordialement, regards,
Emmanuel L├ęcharny