Hi Chris,

On Tue, Mar 31, 2009 at 7:11 AM, Chris Custine <ccustine@apache.org> wrote:
I have committed a quick proof of concept for using the ServiceMix Kernel OSGi runtime as a runtime for Apache Directory Server in my sandbox at:

Going to pull it down now and start getting up to speed with it.  This is great.  Thanks for dropping in this example.  I'm sure we can work on it as a starting point for using the SM Kernel.  I'll be playing with this for the next few days.

It is very rough at the moment, but with a few manual steps outlined in the README at the root of the project, you can run Apache Directory Server in the OSGi runtime of SMX kernel.  I will continue to clean this up a bit and I have some command shells to add soon once I get them cleaned up and working better.

That's great.  I'm curious to see how new commands will be implemented in the ssh shell.  I have a feeling that we can start using this instead of ApacheDS tools to provide all sorts of utilities for managing the server.  Being logged into the shell just means less args needed for the commands :-).

The idea here is to provide a sandbox to experiment with as the roadmap for 2.0 and 2.5 features is tweaked.
I'll make announcements here on the dev list as I add features to experiment with.  Any input is welcome!

I'm going to start another thread about ApacheDS and OSGi because I others are thinking we're probably going to need it for 2.0.  Basically without OSGi we're going to be implementing many OSGi features anyways to achieve hot plugability.