I have committed a quick proof of concept for using the ServiceMix Kernel OSGi runtime as a runtime for Apache Directory Server in my sandbox at:
http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/directory/sandbox/ccustine/apacheds-kernel

It is very rough at the moment, but with a few manual steps outlined in the README at the root of the project, you can run Apache Directory Server in the OSGi runtime of SMX kernel.  I will continue to clean this up a bit and I have some command shells to add soon once I get them cleaned up and working better.

The idea here is to provide a sandbox to experiment with as the roadmap for 2.0 and 2.5 features is tweaked.
I'll make announcements here on the dev list as I add features to experiment with.  Any input is welcome!

Thanks,
Chris
--
Chris Custine